Health Care Reform Basics
What is Health Care Reform?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010. The main goal of ACA is to increase the affordability and rate of health insurance coverage for Americans.
What Kind of Major Changes Should You Expect?
Many changes are already in effect. Here are several key provisions of the ACA:
- Coverage for individuals participating in certain clinical trials
- No more annual dollar limits
- No gender discrimination on premium rates
- Individual mandate (penalty if you don’t have coverage)
- Financial help with a subsidy (tax credit) or cost-sharing assistance
The effective dates of these changes are available on our health care reform timeline.