National BlueCard® Coverage
Wherever you go, your health care coverage goes with you. When you're a BlueCross BlueShield plan member, you take your health care benefits with you — across the country and around the world.
Within the U.S.
- Always carry your current BlueCross BlueShield ID card for easy reference and access to service.
- In an emergency, go directly to the nearest hospital.
- To find nearby doctors and hospitals, visit the Find a Provider page or call BlueCard® Access at 1-800-810-BLUE.
- Call your Blue Plan for pre-certification or prior authorization, if necessary. Refer to the phone number on the back of your card.
- When you arrive at the participating doctor's office or hospital, simply present your Plan ID card. If you are a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) member, the doctor will recognize the logo, which will ensure you will get the PPO level of benefits.
- You should not have to complete any claims forms or pay up front for medical services other than the usual out-of-pocket expenses (deductibles, copayment, coinsurance and non-covered services).
Around the World
- Always carry your BlueCross BlueShield ID card when you travel or live outside the U.S.
- Follow the same simple process as in the U.S., with the following exceptions:
- In most cases, you should not need to pay up front for inpatient care at BlueCard Worldwide hospitals. You are responsible for the usual out-of-pocket expenses (non-covered services, deductible, copayment and coinsurance). The hospital should submit your claim.
You pay the doctor or hospital for inpatient care at non-BlueCard Worldwide hospitals, outpatient hospital care and other medical services. Then, complete an international claim form and send it to the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center