Get a Quote
BlueEssentialsSM Individual and Family Plans
2015 Open Enrollment is over, but you may still be able to get coverage!
Are You Eligible for a Special Enrollment Period?
A Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is a time outside Open Enrollment during which you and your family are eligible to sign up for health insurance.
Effective now through April 30, the government has granted a Tax SEP for individuals who paid a penalty for not having health insurance on their 2014 taxes.
If you do not qualify for a Tax SEP, you can apply for coverage if you experience a Qualified Life Event in the past 60 days, including:
- A change in family status (marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child)
- Loss of minimum essential coverage (i.e. job loss)
- A recent move
If you have not experienced a Qualifying Life Event and still need health insurance, we have short-term health plans available.
Shopping for a Plan
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina offers a variety of individual and family plans to meet your needs. View our 2015 BlueEssentials plans.
You can explore your BlueEssentials plan options in these other ways:
- Call an enrollment counselor who can help you. You can reach us at 877-313-BLUE (2583), 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Mon.–Fri.
- Find a health care provider in the 2015 BlueEssentials network.
- Search the Covered Drug List to see if we cover your prescriptions.
Are You Eligible for Financial Assistance?
Many individuals and families qualify for help paying for health insurance. The federal government will determine your eligibility for assistance based on your income and the number of people in your household. If your annual household income is below the outlined amounts, you will likely qualify.
|Persons in Household||Max. Annual Income|
If you are eligible, you can choose to receive a monthly subsidy or an Advanced Premium Tax Credit (APTC). Read more about your options. If you are unsure whether or not you qualify, use our subsidy calculator. (Note that the federal government has final say on who receives financial assistance and who does not.)
There are several ways to enroll in a plan from BlueCross. You can:
- Call an enrollment counselor. We have helped many thousands of customers qualify for the maximum subsidy, shop and enroll in a plan. You can reach us at 877-313-BLUE (2583), 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Mon–Fri.
- Visit a South Carolina BLUESM retail center. Locations in Columbia, Greenville and Mount Pleasant as well as two mobile units that travel the state to offer professional advice for choosing the right insurance plan and personal service to make sure you’re getting the most out of your benefits.
- Contact an agent. Use our Agent Finder to find a BlueCross-certified agent near you.
- Shop online through the BlueCross Private Marketplace. (Only if you are not eligible for financial assistance.)
- Get a quote and submit an online application if you are over the age of 64 1/2.
- Call 855-204-2781 to speak to an enrollment counselor.