Open Enrollment is Here!
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires almost everyone to have health insurance. We're here to make it easy for you to choose the plan that's right for you and your family. In addition to member perks that go above and beyond typical health plan benefits, 2017 BlueEssentials plans offer:
- Up to $500 for services not covered under your standard preventive doctor visits through our Wellness Plus+SM benefit
- Dental and vision coverage
- 24/7 access to board-certified physicians through the convenience of video consults
- Free preventive screenings
Gold, Silver and Bronze plans are available for individuals and families. All plans cover the same essential health benefits, but the costs you're responsible for will vary based on the metallic level.
Gold PlansGold plans have the highest monthly premiums, but provide the best coverage and lower your out-of-pocket costs for care. This is important for those who visit the doctor often or take many prescription medications.
View Gold Plans
Silver PlansSilver plans balance monthly premiums with out-of-pocket costs for care. This is our most popular metallic level. Silver plans are well-rounded and provide the best value for those who are eligible for cost-sharing reductions.
View Silver Plans
Bronze PlansBronze plans offer the lowest monthly premiums, but you will pay more out of pocket when you need care. These plans are best for those who don't go to the doctor often or take many prescription medications.
View Bronze Plans
Adults under age 30 and people who can't afford metallic coverage may be eligible to purchase our Catastrophic plan. This plan has a low monthly premium and a high deductible, so you pay less each month but more when you actually receive care. Those over age 30 may be eligible to purchase the Catastrophic plan if they qualify for a hardship exemption through the Federally Facilitated Marketplace.
The BlueEssentials Network
The BlueEssentials Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) includes an expansive list of health care providers across the state. Our goal is to provide the highest quality coverage at a reasonable price.
Shopping for a 2017 plan? View the 2017 BlueEssentials network (effective Jan. 1, 2017).
The BlueEssentials network changes periodically. Here are some recent changes to the network.
- The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) is now a part of the BlueEssentials network! Members will pay in-network rates for care received at any MUSC facility.
- Beginning in 2017, most in-network providers will be based in South Carolina. Your health plan will only pay benefits for covered services from network providers, unless it's a true emergency. If you're traveling and need non-emergency care, you have two options:
- Use Blue CareOnDemandSM. You can connect with a board-certified physician anytime, anywhere, using your mobile device or computer. It's free to enroll, and the copay is the same as your primary care physician benefit. Visit www.BlueCareOnDemandSC.com to sign up.
- Call for providers near you. Select urgent treatment centers outside South Carolina are part of the network. Call us at 855-404-6752 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., and we can help you find an in-network urgent treatment center close to your location.
Dollars and Cents
The ACA makes it possible for you to receive financial assistance toward your health plan. Most South Carolinians who apply for federal assistance will receive it. There are two different types of financial assistance:
- Subsidies. This kind of assistance, sometimes called an Advanced Premium Tax Credit (APTC), is directly applied to your premium to reduce the monthly cost of your insurance plan.
- Cost-Sharing Reductions (CSR). A CSR is a discount that you can apply to the Silver plan of your choice. It reduces the amount you pay in deductibles, copayments or coinsurance. Essentially, you pay less out of pocket for a Silver plan with better overall benefits.
The federal government has the final say over who qualifies for financial assistance and who doesn't, but we can help you determine if you're likely to be eligible. Enter your information to see if you could qualify.
The Value of Blue
The ACA regulates health insurance, but not every insurance provider is the same. There's value in being Blue. As a BlueEssentials member, you'll enjoy convenient, reduced-cost pharmacy benefits and exclusive discounts on holistic health services, healthy eating programs and even gym memberships ... all at no extra cost to you! We enjoy seeing our members healthy and happy. Learn more about our value-added benefits.