2021 Individual Affordable Care Act (ACA) Renewal Information
October 20, 2020
To help you prepare for Open Enrollment, we’ve outlined important information for BlueEssentialsSM members renewing in 2021.
Renewal phone line
Members can call 855-263-0687, our dedicated toll-free number, for assistance with renewing their plan. The number will be advertised in their renewal packets and communications issued by BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina. The Agent of Record (AOR) for any member who calls and makes a plan change will remain intact.
Members will receive 2021 renewal packages by mail no later than Oct. 31. We will also send renewal reminders via email and text to members throughout Open Enrollment.
- Federally Facilitated Marketplace (FFM) member 2021 ACA Individual and Family Renewal Packet
- Private Marketplace 2021 ACA Individual and Family Renewal Packet
Manage renewals using bases
You can use BASES to see which of your clients have made changes to their plan and renewed for 2021. The 2021 Enrollment Indicator column will display one of the following indicators:
- “P” indicator means the renewal is currently passive. Any passive enrollment will automatically renew as is for 2021 with payment of the January premium.
- “A” indicator means the member has made changes or actively renewed their coverage effective Jan. 1, 2021.
- Blank/no indicator means we have not yet received a passive renewal from CMS. This only applies to FFM members.
New BlueCross members will also be displayed with an A indicator.
Please note that due to the volume of submissions during open enrollment, updates to BASES could be delayed three to five business days.
Process for "passive" renewals
If members do not want to make any changes to their current plan, or are not receiving financial assistance, all they need to do is pay their January premiums as billed. Making the January 2021 payment will automatically renew the members’ plan. Your clients will receive their January bills the week of Dec. 21.
Any clients who are setup on bank draft will have their 2021 premium drafted on Jan. 1, 2021.
Please contact your marketing representative if you have questions.