Medicare Part B and Group Coverage

August 10, 2020

Some of your clients may have lost group coverage and are over the age of 65. It is important to know what that means for Medicare Part B enrollment, what steps to take and when.  

Job Loss and Medicare Part B Enrollment 

Those who are over 65 and lost group coverage from a previous employer, qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) into Medicare. Even if members plan to return to work, they must act quickly to receive their Medicare coverage to avoid late enrollment penalties. 

Returning to Work and Medicare Part B

According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), members that return to work with the option of group insurance coverage, can cancel their Medicare Part B coverage with no penalty by filing the proper paperwork with the Social Security Administration. You can find more information about terminating Medicare Part B coverage and locate the cancellation form by clicking here.

Next Steps 

  • If members have lost group coverage, they must contact the SSA to get their Part B Medicare coverage within the SEP. 
  • Once a member has applied for Medicare Part B coverage, they can enroll in a Medicare Supplement policy through BlueCross by contacting a marketing representative.  

Member Resources  

Members can contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, or visit for more information.

Complementary Content