In the Community
We offer classes at our South Carolina BLUE Retail Center that can help you cook a healthier meal or manage your stress. The classes are open to members and non-members and are free.
A guiding principle for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina is giving back to the communities where our employees work and live.
A guiding principle for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina is giving back to the communities where we work and live through corporate contributions and sponsorships and employee giving campaigns that benefit nonprofit organizations.
By contributing funds and volunteer time, BlueCross and its employees helps further the missions of many organizations. Even more importantly, these efforts help build a strong and well-rounded community for everyone.
Employee Giving and Volunteerism
In 2018, nearly 6,000 BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina employees logged 18,00 volunteer hours in support of established nonprofits, which translates into $444,420 in monetary value according to Independent Sector, a national membership organization that tracks volunteerism.
Here are just a few examples of how our employees exemplify our "Give Fearless" mantra:
- Building a Habitat for Humanity home
- Donating $2.8 million to the United Way
- Supplying 31,000 meals to the Harvest Hope Bank
- Donating 545 units of blood for the American Red Cross
- Funding participating to Boys & Girls Clubs activities for 100 children
- Packing and delivering 250 meals for Senior Resources Meals on Wheels program and raising funds for another 1,500 meals
- Adopting 220 families for the Palmetto Project's Families Helping Families initiative
The goal of our corporate giving program is to develop strategic partnerships with South Carolina-based nonprofit organizations, engage and encourage employee involvement in their communities, and raise awareness of the causes and issues important to the corporation. Through the charitable giving program, we aim to improve the quality of life for all South Carolinians.