Telehealth Options (COVID-19)
Updated Jan. 27, 2022
As we continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19, we want to make you aware of expanded telehealth options available to our members. With telehealth, you can consult with a health care provider without leaving your home. This can help minimize the spread of illness.
Telehealth lets you consult with a health care provider by phone or through video chats on your computer, smartphone or other device. The doctor will advise if you should seek in-person medical help or if you can treat your symptoms at home. Doctors can even prescribe medicine through telehealth, if needed.
What is it?
- Video or telephone visits with licensed providers in the state where you access services
- Available nationally, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Who should use it?
- Any member, including those outside of South Carolina
- Members who are NOT showing symptoms of COVID-19
- If you do have COVID-19 symptoms, Blue CareOnDemand can refer you to a nearby testing facility, if appropriate
- The service covers urgent care, behavioral health and lactation consulting
Telehealth visits with in-network providers
If you need follow up care from an in-network provider and would prefer a virtual visit instead of in-person care, you may have the option to arrange telephone or video appointments with the provider. You would pay your normal cost share as you would for an in-person visit.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services have adjusted rules for telehealth services, which can be provided using Skype, FaceTime and similar applications. No formal approval process is needed.
*S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is an independent organization that provides health information on behalf of your health plan.
The COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE) ended May 11, 2023. The COVID-19 national emergency ended April 10, 2023. The standard terms of your health plan or policy now apply to any COVID-19 related services. Please review your schedule of benefits if you have any questions.